November Meeting – Eitan Glinert – Fire Hose Games

by Aaron Melcher on November 1, 2013

in Event announcements,Post Mortem

FH_Banner

November Boston Post Mortem – NEW LOCATION!

Logistics:

**PLEASE NOTE THE NEW LOCATION ABOVE. Seriously.**

Parking:

Propark at the Charles Square Garage
One Bennett Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 864-0655

**$5 SPECIAL: When you park at this lot, ask the staff at Tommy Doyle’s to validate your ticket for a $7 discount. It costs $12 if you do not validate your ticket. If you’d rather park elsewhere, street parking is easy to find on the outskirts of Harvard. **

BPM Calendar:

Click the following link to see the calendar of upcoming BPM events and automatically add them to your calendar. If you have an event that you would like added, please email board (at) bostonpostmortem (dot) org. Thanks!

BPM Newsletter:

Sign up for our newsletter to learn about upcoming events – SIGN UP HERE

Presentation:

Our presentation this month will be by Eitan Glinert of Fire Hose Games, who will be giving a talk about his studio:

“My talk will take a look at how Fire Hose is evolving to keep pace with a rapidly changing industry. I’ll start by talking through our early 2013 launch of Go Home Dinosaurs and what was hot/not about that game.

Then it gets really exciting!  I’ll jump into how we adapted Fire Hose to stay competitive.  This will include our shift to smaller 2 person teams, our embracing of a “checkpoint” system to sift out the best game ideas quickly, and our methodology for making games.

Finally I’ll get into where we’re going next – raising investment capital, growing the company, and of course showing off some of our new games!”

See you on there!

{ 7 comments }

Paul DiPastina November 7, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I don’t exactly know why the location was moved, but I am a bit displeased about having to pay that much for parking, especially since the Skellig had a lot behind it that I can’t remember ever having to pay to park in. I also don’t know if I believe that street parking is easy to find near Harvard. That sounds like a fantasy. I used to have a friend who lived in Porter Square (which is less than a mile away) and free parking was very difficult to come by. Also, through the city is a huge pain with the kind of traffic you’ll be getting this time of night, and taking the T is likely no better an option since you have to pay to park your car anyway on top of the fare and you’ll probably be late.

Having said that, I’m going to give the T a shot and reserve further judgment until I’ve seen the place, looks smaller than the Skellig from street view, but the Skellig was bigger than it looked from the street so I’m hoping to be surprised. I honestly think the location is inconvenient, the parking is inconvenient, taking the T is inconvenient, and the place looks small. But I’m open to having my mind changed.

Aaron November 14, 2013 at 2:06 pm

The T will cost you $4 round trip, saving just $1. Unless you have a monthly pass of course….

Nico November 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm

“If you’d rather park elsewhere, street parking is easy to find on the outskirts of Harvard. **”
I would say Harvard is one of the most difficult areas in Cambridge to find parking during the non-summer months. It is also a big cluster of traffic circles, construction, and one-way street chaos. If you have the means to get yourself onto the Red Line that is a far better option.

Daniel Quaroni November 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

I have to agree… Locations near Harvard are quite bad to get to by car. There’s often a ton of traffic in that area. The Skellig had the benefit of being near the commuter rail, though I realize the CR has a lousy schedule.

What would be better would be something with decent T access that’s somewhat more car accessible with decent parking in the area. The problem with the T that time of night for outsiders is that Alewife is very congested.

Dan November 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Do you need to be a member of IGDA to attend?

jimmi heiserman November 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I do agree with the above posters about parking being difficult, but now that it is in Harvard and NOT in Waltham, me and some friends will be attending regularly now. I do not know what the reason for the change of location was, but I find it very convenient to be accessible from the T finally. There are a lot of us in the city area, and although I can not speak for all of them, we welcome the new harvard area location!

Nico November 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I want to say thanks to Dan, Alec, the Melch, and the rest of the BPM crew for their efforts and the location change. I know you’re getting some guff from folks, which I would guess is not unexpected. It being in Harvard, while difficult to park, is still much more accessible to me and many other people last night said similar things.

A short post mortem of last night’s post mortem: (we must go deeper)

Pros –
– Great to see such a good turn out and so many people who I hadn’t seen at a PM in a long time.
– Very convenient to much of the Boston gaming scene
– An amazing talk from an amazingly handsome and talented and handsome and clever, witty man. (If I don’t write things like this, someone at our office cries)
– Good after-hours chats once BPM wound down (I think because people could walk/take the T home)

Cons-
– It was a fairly small room to gather in, and therefore quite hot
– Parking should be mentioned for those who drive in (I don’t) however the validated parking is a big relief on this I assume
– Plastic cups (c’mon, this is ‘Murica)
– Salsberg’s beard was better groomed than mine

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: